Tuesday 3 November 2009

Jeff Koons; 'Popeye Series' Serpentine Gallery.



The sculptures in this show were of most interest to me. Playful and surprising they confounded my expectations, defied common sense and challenged my understansding of the material properties of the objects being represented. A number of these works were physically impossible!
The urge to touch was, for me, almost overwhelming! I'm sure I wasn't alone in this, hence the many eagle eyed gallery attendants. Perfect facsimiles of the real objects, I knew that the inflatable toys were made of metal, but they were utterly convincing in their mimickery of plastic!
Would the experience of touching these pieces have diminished the illusion?    





http://www.serpentinegallery.org/2008/06/jeff_koons_popeye_series2_july.html
Visited exhibition 21/7/209

No comments:

Post a Comment